Sunday, January 29, 2012

Recipe Box: Sick-Day Soup

Ok, so I'm sick. Some sort of head cold and maybe a little bit of strep thrown in (we'll have to wait and see). Basically, just sick enough to feel miserable constantly but not sick enough to feel like it's acceptable to lay around all day being lazy.

I don't know about you, but when I'm sick, soup hits the mark better than anything. But I get tired of traditional chicken noodle, and soggy noodles (from forgetting about the soup while blowing my nose) are hard to keep down when I already feel gross. So the other night I whipped up a super easy, very delicious, healthy soup.

It was really fast and easy to make because I already had the homemade chicken stock in my fridge, the broccoli, green beans, peas, and celery in my freezer, cooked shredded chicken in one cup increments in my freezer, along with some cucumbers pre-sliced for quick snacking. So the only thing I really had to do was make the rice, dice the garlic, and combine everything. PREP YOUR FREEZER FOR DAYS LIKE THIS!

Sick-Day Soup
makes about 4 servings

1/2 C Rice
3/4 C Homemade Chicken Stock
*
2 C Homemade Chicken Stock
1 C Cooked, Shredded Chicken
1/4 C Frozen Broccoli
1/4 C Frozen Green Beans
8 Cucumber Slices, halved
2 Stalks of Celery, cut in 1/2" pieces
2 Cloves of Garlic, diced
3 T Frozen Corn
1 t Oregano
Salt and pepper to taste (I added a lot of pepper, maybe half a teaspoon or more)

Prepare rice according to package instructions, substituting chicken stock for the water called for.

While the rice is cooking, combine chicken, chicken stock, all veggies, oregano, salt, and pepper. Put this in the microwave for about 10 minutes. Half way through, stir and then restart microwave. 

When rice is finished, stir into soup. Heat more if necessary. 

Take to bed with you and eat it all day long so you don't have to move (it's even good once it cools down!). This would also be a delish summer dish. 

I'll post the chicken stock recipe when I get the chance because that's where most of the flavor and healthyness of the soup comes from. There are some serious sick-fighting factors to consider when deciding to make your own stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment