Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Easy Breakfast Hash

Once more, a salty breakfast. I really am on a roll with making new ways to eat salt in the morning. This time it's a Breakfast Hash (at least that's what I'm calling it).

I added some bacon grease to give it a meaty flavor without having to use any. The egg adds protein though, and I almost always have a glass of raw milk with it, and it makes enough to actually keep you full until lunch so I'm in love. Feel free to throw more veggies in, I like it the way it is, but I usually have raw broccoli or raw green beans or something on the side to make up for that.



Easy Breakfast Hash
serves 1

1 medium potato, shredded with skin on
1/4 onion, diced
2 T coconut oil
1 T bacon grease (saved from grass-fed bacon please!)
1 egg (the first time I made this I had a local duck egg left over and it was fantasticcccc)
1/4 cup shredded cheese (I like cheddar)
salt and pepper to taste

First, dice your onion. I like to dice a whole onion at a time and freeze it so it's ready for moments like these. Throw about 1/4 of the onion into a pan with coconut oil and bacon grease, cook until they are translucent.

While the onions cook, shred your potato using a cheese grater or if you have a food processor that should work too. Once the onions are ready, dump your potato pile on top of them and give it a good stir. I like to salt it at this time (my husband hates pepper so I never use it, but it would be reeeeeallyyy good here).

Let it cook on a medium high heat until the bottom of the potato heap starts to brown. Stir it again and let it brown some more. You're not looking for perfect crispyness, but you don't want everything mushy either. At this point I crack my egg into a glass and scramble it. If you like sunnyside up eggs, make them separately and place on top of potato mixture. I don't, so I pour the scrambled egg over my potato and onions and stir for just over a minute letting it cook through.

It should smell great right now. I dump it out onto a plate, grate some cheese over it, and garnish with cilantro if you'd like (I like it on everything), and enjoy! I think this is my new favorite!


This blog post was featured at Frugally Sustainable

No comments:

Post a Comment